Olive oil is the only oil produced in a natural way, without chemical processes, and it keeps its characteristics intact, unlike seed oils. Various rumors have been circulated that seed oils are lighter or better than olive oil but this has been proven completely false in scientific research.
Modern medicine confirms the fact that olive oil is beneficial to health and considered as the greatest secret to ensure wellness and longevity. Researches confirm the great value of olive oil in our daily diet, while recent research has proved that only breast milk can be digested more easily by the human body.
Ancient Greeks attributed their physical strength and spiritual wellbeing in olive oil consumption. According to the “father of medicine”, Hippocrates, olive oil is considered to be beneficial for more than 60 medicinal uses.
According to international studies, a direct correlation has been found between olive oil consumption and the decrease of risk for cardiovascular disease, cancer, hypertension, diabetes, Alzheimer, ulcers, sexual impotence.
- LDL cholesterol: The consumption of olive oil instead of other fats or oils reduces the concentration of LDL cholesterol in the blood, without decreasing the levels of HDL, the so-called “bad” and “good” cholesterol.
- Triglycerides: It has been shown that olive oil reduces the level of triglycerides in the blood. A collection of bad cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood can block the arteries which transport oxygen to the brain and heart. In general, olive oil protects against heart diseases.
- Hypertension: Olive oil reduces blood pressure, both systolic and diastolic. Therefore it decreases the risk of heart attacks and strokes.
- Cancer: Recent studies have shown that olive oil consumption can slow down breast cancer and other types of cancer. A balanced diet with olive oil and vegetables can reduce the chances of the appearance of cancer by 75%.
- Gastrointestinal system: Recent research shows that olive oil in conjunction with a healthy diet (vegetables, little meat etc) protects against cancer of the stomach and makes the liver work better and helps it to detoxify poisonous substances.
- Osteoporosis: Olive oil assists in the maintenance of bone thickness and protects against osteoporosis.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: Olive oil consumption reduces the chances of the appearance of this condition by 75%, especially with a balanced diet and the consumption of more fish.
- Diabetes: Olive oil should also be included in the treatment of diabetes.
We must not forget that consumption of both olive oil and all forms of oil, especially those rich in monounsaturated fat, should be consumed in moderation and not to excess. So even with a small amount of olive oil, we can have great results in terms of nutrient absorption and simultaneously an optimal choice for keeping low amounts of fat in our daily diet.